Tuesday 14 May 2013

Creating The New Specimen Book

After looking at Wim Crouwel's New Alphabet specimen book, I thought it would be a great idea to create a specimen book that demonstrates the full typeface and how to use it properly.

I want it to relate to the Ten Dollar Fonts promotional material that I have created up to now, but to also relate to my specimen posters in terms of stock choice and aesthetics. I am therefore planning on using the light blue stock to title the page, but have it cut half way to cover a plain, black & white nordic waterfall scene. Here are a few sketches below to demonstrate this:

[scan]

So I took to InDesign, using the same image as I have used in my .gif, and used this as the front and back cover:



Front Cover


Back Cover

Using the material from my specimen posters, this is a digital representation of what I will do with the light blue stock:



I will keep the same format as the posters - using a 14pt baseline grid and basing the point sizes on that. I can also use the tracking demonstration that I didn't use previously.

I think it would be good to demonstrate the typeface side by side on the page, regular:alternative. That way there is a direct visual comparison between the two versions of the typeface.

No comments:

Post a Comment