Wednesday 8 May 2013

Movie Icons: Thinking of a Brand Name

I think it's probably a good idea to think of a name for my set of movie icons. It will help to keep them part of a set, and will be easier to promote the game itself.

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner really. Talking to Tom from Catalogue on Friday helped to bring up ways to expand the range in my work, which I think is the main weakness so far. He suggested creating a brand, or an identity, for every project which can be applied to a range of deliverables. It is the easiest way to generate interest and to raise the recognition of the set.

After some (shocking) names I decided to stick to Movicon. It's relevant, and rolls off the tongue nicely. Here are others that I thought of which weren't really suitable:

  • What Film?
  • Guess Film
  • Filmmania
  • Pictofilms
  • Icons of Films
  • Movie Icons
  • Icons of Cinema
There isn't a lot of names, but I think it's best to go with my gut instinct really, and Movicon is a decent name. The next step, is to create a logo:


I did a few tests with typefaces that I thought would be appropriate for a identity focused around films. They should be narrow, to represent movie posters, bold and preferably sans-serif. However, I have noticed that I haven't really pinpointed the aesthetic that I want, so more research into the subject is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment